18 10 2006

Read this and think of how neglectful this woman was:

Mom guilty of neglecting teen’s botched piercing

POSTED: 6:18 p.m. EDT, October 17, 2006

var clickExpire = “11/16/2006”;

Adjust font size:

Decrease fontDecrease font

Enlarge fontEnlarge font

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) — A mother whose teenage daughter nearly died from an infection caused by a navel piercing was convicted Tuesday of endangering the girl’s life by failing to seek medical attention until she was gravely ill.

Deborah Robinson, 39, could get up to five years in prison.

The girl developed an infection after piercing her own navel and inserting a ring.

Prosecutors said Robinson watched for several weeks as her 13-year-old daughter dropped from 115 pounds to 75 pounds, became incontinent and grew so weak that she could not get off the couch. (Full story)

When paramedics arrived at the family’s apartment in 2005, the girl was emaciated and was wearing an adult diaper.

A jury convicted Robinson of wantonly and recklessly permitting substantial bodily injury to a child. She is scheduled for sentencing October 26.

The girl suffered extensive organ damage from an infection that ravaged her body. For nearly a week, doctors were unsure whether she would survive. But after a series of operations and weeks of rehabilitation, she made a full recovery.

“This story is a story of poverty, of ignorance, of a single mother with two children trying to do the best that she could do with very little resources,” Robinson’s lawyer, Janet Macnab, told the jury.

The girl, now 14, testified in her mother’s defense. She said her mother urged her to eat, gave her orange juice and adjusted the temperature in the apartment to make her comfortable. She also contradicted prosecutors in saying she was in no pain.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.